Thursday, February 24, 2011

When chemo rears it's ugly head

hanging out before her appointment
being measured
Yesterday was Brinley's 10th time going under anesthetic, and what better to kick off such a milestone by waking up in the middle of her lumbar puncture.  Oh yes, according to the anesthesiologist, and our nurse practitioner, Brinley sat straight up on the OR table and started talking. They came to me when she was in recovery saying that they've always had a hard time keeping Brinley under, and that her body metabolizes medication very quickly. This is the first time I've heard any of this.  I did however know something was wrong because as I was leaving the OR, she started fighting and freaking out, but by that time the nurse had closed the doors, leaving me in the hallway with a sinking feeling.  Needless to say, once Brinley was out of the surgery, she was very dopey due to the amount of anesthetic it took them to keep her under, she came home and crashed on the couch for a little while, then went up to bed. 

This morning I woke up to her vomiting, complaining of pain, headaches, and a sore tummy to boot.  I gave her a dose of ondansetron, and it came right back up.  I called the hospital to see if maybe I could give her a gravol suppository, but apparently gravol, and methotrexate don't mix well, so that was a big no.  They did express concern that she hasn't eaten since 6:30 Tuesday night, and she's not keeping anything down, so now I'm pushing fluids to avoid going back to Children's for an IV, I need to keep dehydration away so I'm grasping at straws and hoping she won't puke.

They did warn me that this phase of treatment is usually the worst of it...and if we are so lucky to have 30 uncomfortable days, out of 2 1/2 years, I'll take it.


Once again, we have our game face on.
Having her IVAD accessed, she always makes this face
she says it doesn't hurt though.


watching the nurse set up chemo

and there it is, methotrexate

No comments:

Post a Comment