|Looking out the window, wanting out.|
The weekend came and the doctors had hope Brinley would be released early because the infection only turned out to be strep. They did another blood culture that came back negative which was great, but we still had the neutropenic factor staring us in the face. Her counts were recovering, but she didn't have an immune system. So instead to being home for Sunday, which I had hoped, Blake and I were able to slip away for a few hours (with the help of our friends) and have our 6 year anniversary dinner. How things can change in a year...Last year we were beach side, drinks in hand, celebrating 5 years of marriage in Mexico. This year we've exchanged that for the Stollery Children`s Hospital. But one thing has stayed the same, I`m still sitting beside this wonderful guy who is keeping my sanity intact with his jokes and easy manner when dealing with this challenging time.
Tomorrow Brinley will start maintenance. Of course this is based on her blood results, and something tells me she will be delayed a week, but nonetheless maintenance is on the horizon. I'm a bit anxious because she will have another lumbar puncture with chemo, and as you know, she doesn't have much luck with anesthetic. So on top of being witness to watching her get put out, I`m constantly wondering, "what if she stops breathing?", "what if they use a bigger needle again and she has migraines for the week?", "what if she wakes up again in the middle of it?"